Antibiotics are one of the most common ways to fight any infection or disease, however many don’t realize there are certain foods to eat and not to eat while taking antibiotics.
Let us look at the food that one should eat & not eat while taking Antibiotics:
6 Foods to Eat While Taking Antibiotics:
- Prebiotics – Prebiotics are the building blocks for healthy gut bacteria. They assist to grow healthy gut bacteria in great numbers. One should eat yogurt, Kefir (fermented milk drink), and fortified cereals as they are rich sources of prebiotics.
- Probiotics – Similar to Prebiotics, probiotics help in feeding the good bacteria and support them to develop and flourish. One can find probiotics in milk, yogurt, and kefir.
- Fermented Soy Products & Kimchi – Both of them are filled with probiotics and prebiotics and contain Bifidobacteria which is another rich digestion-crucial bacteria.
- Yogurt and Fermented Milk – Lactobacilli are an important element of digestion in the intestines. Both yogurt and fermented milk (kefir) boost the presence of Lactobacilli and also help in curbing the growth of bad bacteria.
- Vitamin K – It is necessary that your body receives vitamin K while undergoing Antibiotic treatment. Eat leafy green vegetables, cauliflower, liver, and eggs to get more vitamin k in the body.
- Coconut Oil – It contains fatty acids that will help in reducing the risk of growing antibiotic-related yeast infections. This is especially useful if you’re female.
Food to Avoid While Taking Antibiotics
- Grapefruit – One should avoid consuming grapefruit as it contains compounds that negatively affect the body to properly absorb antibiotics.
- Excess Calcium – Excess calcium intake can interfere with the absorption of antibiotics.
- Alcohol – Consuming alcohol and antibiotics can cause a lot of unpleasant side effects.
- Sugars and Yeast – In some patients (particularly women) antibiotic utilization may cause candida (yeast) infections. Avoid foods high in sugar and yeast.
Doctors and researchers are now working hard to reduce the danger of antibiotic resistance every year. Customized compounding medication can help avoid any side effects as the doctor will prescribe ingredients to be used in the medication based on your body assessment, thereby increasing the efficacy of the antibody medication.